Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Another Busy Weekend in Gordonsville, Saturday

On Saturday morning I slept in a little after Rob had left for work but I didn't stay in bed too long as the boom was calling from outside the bedroom window, "I need some more paint!"
I threw some clothes on and went to find the paint pot, pleased that there was no sun at the front of the cottage. I'd had a little scare a few days earlier and needed some pre cancerous cells burnt from my cheek with liquid nitrogen, a horrible experience, and not one I want to repeat, so I'd been shielding my face from the sun as much as possible. Unfortunately this also meant, no sunbathing, kayaking or cycling for a few days until it healed.
 I stirred the paint and started slapping it onto the boom already feeling the hot humidity in the air. I noticed that Rob had left a few bits and pieces on the trailer which looked like they needed another coat of paint so I did those too. I'm pretty sure now that he's got some deal with the surrounding neighbors where he collects stuff from them during the week, and then I have to paint it at the weekends. I might have to start hiding the brushes!
 Kota had been keeping a constant wailing going on whilst I was outside and since he was seriously doing my head in, I thought it was time for him to see the great outdoors on the other side of Rob's front door. He's used to the house now so he'd have his bearings but I followed him just the same. He ventured forth and after sniffing the air, proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the house twice checking every piece of wood and brick. Then he checked out the garage, rested for a bit and decided to take a hike through the fence into the woods. I decided he couldn't and that he'd had enough for his first session and took him back indoors.
I saw a couple of these nasty bugs on the wood of the house so if anyone can identify them, I'd be pleased to know what they are.
Rob came home from work and we then went to his son's house where he would help Lance bring back some furniture from Charlottesville, and I would stay behind with Rob's daughter Katie who was looking after Deckland and Ripley, Lance's children. Ripley is named after the movie Aliens. How cool is that?
Deckland was a bit shy towards me but Ripley was very friendly, especially once she noticed my nails and even tried to bite them off. She's teething...Me, Katie and her friend Deta sat and watched TV and chatted but after 4pm, we were anxious for the guys to return as we were all starving. Texts to them went unanswered and our tummies grumbled. Just as we were lapsing into comas, they turned up, Hoo Rah! Furniture was unloaded and goodbyes flew back and forth and soon Rob and I were headed back to the cottage.
 We had to stop at the railroad crossing as a train was coming so I hopped out of the car and crouched down by the track to get a good shot when it passed. I got a good shot OK but also a shock when I moved the camera from my face and saw how close I was to the train as it sped past. 
We drove back hardly passing any other traffic and Rob fired up the BBQ as soon as we arrived. We had delicious chicken with jacket potatoes and finally I relaxed with a full tummy. Bliss!

1 comment:

Heideldy Deideldy said...

I don't know what that bug is, but you MUST warn me the next time you post one on here. When I see bugs it almost makes me throw up in my mouth! BLECH! :-) I am VERY bug phobic!