Thursday, June 10, 2010

Back to the Countryside

It was great to leave the bustle of Northern Virginia behind me and join Rob again at his cottage. The view above is from his place and I sat on the fence just sniffing the breeze and looking. Those woods made me remember a favorite book of mine when I was younger called The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, in which Maria leaves Merryweather Manor and meets the Men of the Black Wood, a dark world set in a vast forest of pine trees. I've read it three times and now think a fourth reading is due.
 This was to be a working Sunday for me, and after we'd scoffed a whole packet of bacon and some eggs, Rob and I went to open the barn doors disturbing a frog and a black snake. We got the frog out but couldn't find the snake, he moved so fast. Shame, I would've liked to hold him. Rob started burning some bushes he'd uprooted and then we painted the poles for the hammock in green. Waiting for those  to dry, it was then time for my first session on the mower.

 
Apparently I was being closely observed and it was noted that my speed increased along with my confidence. No surprise there then. We both whizzed around the yard but I have to admit I had the nicer patch to cut; Rob got the dusty gravelly areas by the truck and under the trees.
 Since the tractor was out, some photos had to be taken and Rob struck a pose with his baby. 
 Back to painting again and this time I had the boom to paint red while Rob took on the bush hog. It was bloody hot and we had to pause at one point as a quick rain shower passed over. We only got one coat on each piece of equipment as enamel paint takes forever to dry especially in humidity. I'll be finishing my piece this weekend; I wanted to complete it myself despite Rob offering to do it.
Still not finished! The mowers had to be washed before going back into the garage. I was well pleased when we were finally done and we could eat dinner, have a shower and plop onto the sofa.
 What a team! Still smiling to the end especially as this was a day with NO TICKS. Woo Hoo! Later that night we stepped outside in the dark and stood watching the stars. I will one day take a photo of the night sky here but tonight, I just wanted to drink in the beauty of the evening and gaze upwards. A just reward indeed for a fun day of work.
 

1 comment:

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

debs, I think you were born to work the farm!sounds like you two have so much fun together