Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Father's Day in DC

On Father's Day, Rob and I went down to DC. He had come up to my neck of the woods for a change even though he's not keen on city life, but despite me preferring it down his way, it was nice to stay put for once. We headed into the downtown area so he could see the main attractions and it felt really weird to be an Englishwoman showing an American around his national capital and pointing out the sights. Rob took the photo above on his cell phone of an ethereal Monument reaching for the sky.
After cruising around and a promise to return at a later date, we drove to Arlington Cemetery, a place Rob had always wanted to see, especially to see the Kennedy graves.
The heat was searing yet despite this, the place was full of visitors.
 
 The Kennedy grave site and the final resting place of America's 35th president. His gravestone is Cape Cod granite and the flame burns continuously. The grave immediately above is Robert Kennedy.
 Rob at the Kennedy graves...
...and walking up the hill towards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
The amphitheater where performances are held and the site of many moving speeches.
We timed it perfectly to arrive at the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Sitting down on a step, we silently watched the impeccably timed routine. This is the 3rd time I've been honored to watch this and it never fails to give me goosebumps and make me feel truly humble as I watch these amazing men carry out the procedure with utmost respect and without a fault.These men give up so much to honor their duty that it is impossible to not feel proud of them, read these facts.
We then walked down to the recent graves of soldiers killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. It really hammers it home that we are in a war when you see these fresh graves side by side in long white lines. Family members held silent vigil by white gravestones or wooden markers on this day that should have been filled with happy memories. Father's Day cards were propped next to flowers and homemade tokens of love. It became a little too much for me and I walked off by myself for a while to reflect and quietly thank those that had given their lives for my peaceful existence. I couldn't bring myself to take many photos finding it somehow too 'touristy' and disrespectful.
Rob and I slowly made our way back to the car finding that many of the visitors had departed. We headed back to Centreville avoiding Rte 66 so we could scour the sides of the road for an ice cream parlor, eventually finding a Dairy Queen to cool off in and enjoy a Blizzard, but even though we were back in our world once again, the Cemetery still called to me. I think everyone owes a visit to these fallen heroes.

1 comment:

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

beautiful photos and a nice tribute to our soldiers