Thursday, July 1, 2010

Another Busy Weekend in Gordonsville, Sunday

On Sunday we were up early as Rob had to work again and I'd decided to go with him. It was another hot humid day and his air conditioned office was wonderful. I set up my computer to load a couple of photos to my daily blog and then Rob showed me around. 
I was rather curious about seeing the water treatment plant as it's one of those places that the public rarely see or actually want to see, but me being the ever nosey person that I am and also always interested in how things work, I was game for the tour. Anything for a photo op!
 The pump station was awesome for photos, a bit like an abandoned place but with the machinery working and my camera went into overtime. I really liked the chain hanging from the lamp with cobwebs and the lighting was perfect even though a tripod would've gotten better results.
Rob smiling down and for once not giving his customary thumbs up.
This was a very cool if not awkward photo to capture. After the water is treated it passes over these UV bulbs to kill off any lingering bacteria before it is released back into the river.
A while ago, Rob sent me a text image of these agitators which looked really cool on my phone. It was great to see them close up, just like flying saucers.
The water being agitated from below. I was mesmerized and kept thinking how the image looked like a couple of fillets of fish. OK, my imagination runs riot!
Cool pipes!
This is 3 images of the Detroit Diesel generator firing up. It was deafening but amazing. It belched and burped out black smoke as it started up and I managed to capture the moment as Rob did a countdown to firing it up. We then had to wait 15 minutes for it to run out of fuel before it stopped. Conversation was impossible over the noise but I was content to sniff the aromatic diesel fumes and feel the cool draft that it pumped out.
Rob took this photo of my hair as the pump puffed air towards me. Lucky I had sprayed some color on my hair for the mohican effect. ?
After the tour, it was back to the office where Rob finished off and posed by his work computer which sported one of my photos on the desk top. Thumbs up!
I'd started the morning on nothing except a cup of tea and a banana so for the second time this weekend I was starving. We stopped at a diner for breakfast and I was so hungry that I was acutely aware that I'd polished my plate before Rob had finished. Oink.
This truck was parked outside and once again, it was a little scary especially with the darkened windows. These older trucks are very ominous to me and fascinating in the true sense of the word. I've just got the movie Duel to watch over the weekend.
On the way back, we stopped at an antique store in Gordonsville which was definitely a place I'll keep popping into. Rob spotted this old telephone switchboard and wants it. Sigh. 
Back at the house, Rob took this photo of Kota. He was checking his Facebook page and I am very ashamed to say that I fell very short of my mommy duties and completely forgot that it was his eight birthday today. Hence the wistful look on his dear little face. But thank you Nancy for remembering. He has since been pampered with plenty of treats and chocolate and I extended his evenings out to 9pm this week.
Sitting on the porch with wonderfully refreshing watermelon. This was the seedless kind although it had a few small ones which could be swallowed. I'd never like watermelon because of all the seeds and my complete inability to spit them out like a pro but this one was delicious. More this weekend please Rob!
As dark fell, I took this photo of Rob's rider lamp at the front of the house. Another weekend that flew by too quickly and before I knew it Kota and I were leaving in the early dark hours of Monday morning to head back to the bustle of northern Virginia and start another work week. Holiday weekend next weekend. Hoorah!

No comments: