Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 4th Weekend part II

On Sunday and Monday, Rob and I took things really easy. We had trips to get ice cream, visits both days from his son's family and plenty of time just relaxing. The camera didn't see too much use but on Sunday as we came back from an ice cream trip, we passed the new scary truck site so I was compelled to take a few more photos.
It was parked closer to the road this time and seemed to almost pull out as we approached. Why does this chunk of metal scare me so? Heading back to the house we lazed some more and Rob drove the tractor out of the barn so we could sit on the porch and look at it. Country life! 
Even Kota has got into some of our routines and contentedly sat and looked at the tractor with us for a while. As darkness fell, we set up the hammock and I prepared some bloody marys, thanks to Lance who gave us an excellent bottle of vodka.
 We'd gone to his house to pick it up and I had a couple of tasters while there, getting the feeling that this was a guy I'd like to party with. It may well happen further down the road. I must point out that I have no idea how the Hersheys chocolate syrup sneaked into the photo but it didn't make it into the drinks.
 Rob cooked a couple of massive pork chops on the grill and once we'd stuffed ourselves with them and leftover potato salad, we topped up our glasses and headed for the hammock. Rob disappeared for a bit and then emerged with his West Virginian fireworks for our 4th of July evening. I was howling as he pulled out a book of matches, lit one and threw it in the air, whistling as it arced to the ground and then clapped his hands as it landed in the grass. It was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen and he even made me partake in the grand finale, whistling and clapping as the last match hit the ground.
Monday was another lazy day and once again I was in the hammock while my better half ran to the store for bacon. I saw his car approach and lifted my head as he overshot the parking area and continued to drive over the grass towards me. He swung the car alongside the hammock and thrust a bouquet of yellow, white and orange flowers out of the car window at me with a huge smile. I nearly bawled. This guy knows how to romance. Totally awesome, and we're not finished. He then went indoors and came out a couple of minutes later with an orange popsicle as he knows I love them. What a hunk. Love you, babe.
 A little later we went for a stroll by the Rivanna River near one of his plants. It was beautiful and because the heat was so intense, I pulled off my shoes and socks to paddle in the shallow water.
 Tiny fish darted back and forth while butterflies fluttered over the sandy beaches. We had the place to ourselves and it was paradise until Rob called to me while I was in the water. I heard the word camera and looked down to find my G10 was submerged. What an idiot. I shook off the water, pulled out the battery and card and laid them out on a rock to dry. I managed a photo of a butterfly a little later but the camera died again. I refused to let it spoil the day and afterwards we went for ice cream before heading home.
 
I tried again back at the house and managed the shot above of Rob. This was the last photo from the G10. I haven't fully accepted the fact that it's died yet but am acutely aware that I now only have one camera left. Oh well, at least it wasn't the 50D that took a dunking. Despite my camera loss, I had another great weekend, especially since I didn't see or sniff a single paint pot. How long will this last?

No comments: