Monday, February 1, 2010

Another Snowy Day

Kota and I woke up to a cold and dull Saturday morning. After we'd both had breakfast, it was back into bed, me with the paper and Kota for a snooze. It wasn't until a couple of hours later that I looked out the window and saw that snow was now falling, and quite heavily.
Excitedly, I leapt out of bed and got ready to venture out with my camera. I drove out of my community and on the first turn I ended doing a near 360. The roads were obviously very slick so I headed to McDonalds to think of a plan. Sitting in my warm car watching the snow ploughs, I decided to stay local and play safe.
There is a business park with some pretty landscaping close by so I headed there very slowly. Once out of the car, the wind was harsh and biting, so I shielded myself and my camera with an umbrella and started clicking quickly.
 
  
There were some pretty shots to take but I was having a problem getting creative and my fingers were frozen after only twenty minutes so I headed back to Stuart. I sat inside with the heater on full blast and pondered while I thawed out. I didn't want to head back home just yet so I drove slowly along a nearby country lane. There was no other traffic and the road wasn't too slick.
I stopped as some deer wandered into the road. About siz or seven casually crossed in front of me and hopped over the fence.
 
I really liked this industrial view because it was such a contrast from the pretty pine trees and woodlands surrounding it. I headed back after a few miles as I didn't want to chance being stranded too far from home, so I headed next for Bull Run Park.
This dolphin at the water park didn't look too happy with the weather! There wasn't anyone else in the park at all except for a couple of rangers who gave me a wave,  along with, no doubt, a mutter under the breath about how mad I was.
I parked up close to the river and walked down to the bank. It was so pretty and wonderful to have this scenic beauty all to myself. This park is usually packed in fine weather.
 
  
There was a lot of fluffy stuff floating on the river and it took me a while to realize that it was ice forming on the water. I stood and took in the complete solitude for a while before I again had to seek warmth in the car. I was actually very surprised that I hadn't seen another photographer while I was out so I think I can classify myself as hardcore :). Either that or mad. Regardless, when I got home, it made my large mug of drinking chocolate laced with 12 year old Scotch all the more welcome!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As usual beautiful photos. Deb you have a great eye.

Debby Karalee said...

Aaw, shucks. Thanks Tim, nice start to my week:)