Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Exploring with my Boyfriend?

On Saturday, I met up with Emily and Mukul and introduced them to my new man, Steve. I've known Steve as a neighbor for a while, but we met in the pub on Superbowl night, and have been in sync ever since. He was intrigued to experience himself my favorite hobby, and I was delighted to have him along.
Since the snow had thwarted any outdoor explorations, we headed for a previous haunt in Baltimore, the brewery. Access was denied to us for a while as we skirted the building looking for a way in. Eventually, the boys hauled themselves up a wall and, lo and behold, discovered a ladder inside, which Emily and I used to make a more graceful entrance.
 
I used a long exposure and a gel flashlight for this. Steve was a superstar lighting the way as I fiddled with my camera in the near blackness.
We saw these light bulbs and he mentioned about them looking like the eggs in the movie, 'Aliens', so I hunted for a critter on the internet and came up with this fantasy image.
 
This was the dreaded room in which Emily and I were trapped on our last visit. I've drawn the path we took that finally led us out on to the roof and to freedom. Nobody wanted to cross the floor this time and we had the door held open with a large brick to ensure egress.
This room was very dark and we managed to spook ourselves by thinking we heard footsteps and voices. After skulking around quietly for an eternity and taking photos, someone made a loud noise and either scared off the other visitors or quelled our imaginations as we heard no more sounds after that.
 
I think Mukul made these footprints in the snow as he had gone before the rest of us, but I loved the way they 'walked' with the stray cat prints.
 This was a hallway with large stainless steel fermentation tanks on either side which were still spotlessly clean. Mukul climbed inside one of them while me and Emily contented ourselves with some more gel shots.
A large part of the brewery was now inaccessible due to padlocks so after about 3 hours we left in search of food and beer.
 
We passed this cool retro sign in Camden and then warmed up in the pub with hot food while checking our photos. I was really impressed that Steve had stuck with us and enjoyed the trip. He is keen to explore further and even develop his photographic talent which he had already cultivated on this trip. How awesome to have my guy into urbexing! Roll on next adventure!
 

No comments: