Friday, February 18, 2011

Dupont Circle at Night

Wednesday night a small group of us went down to DC to take some more night photos. Steve came down with me and Emily and Jason also joined the group. We started off at the circle and I soon found out that my 50D's battery was nearly dead. I had charged it but there was something wrong with it. Luckily I had my G10 so I had to use that instead. 
Steve laid on a bench while the rest of us pointed our cameras, then once shutters had opened I painted him with a couple of flashlights.
We also painted a 100 as it was DCUE's 100th event. We spent a while experimenting and helping each other setting up photos while passers by stopped to ask questions on what we were up to. We were also serenaded by a homeless guy who sat on one of the benches and sang his heart out, oblivious to everything.
A couple in our group had passed an alley way while coming to meet us and thought it seemed an ideal spot to grab some shots so we walked there. It was empty of people and we were fortunate to be able to mess around with our lights and not disturb anybody.

After the alley it was decided that beer was required so those who weren't heading home came to the Brickskeller Saloon where beer menus were handed out. There were hundreds of beers from all over the world to choose from.
I had Fuller's London  Pride and Old Speckled Hen, two excellent English beers. The food wasn't much to write home about but that wasn't a real concern. After our beer craving was satisfied, we walked back to our vehicles or metro stations. Stuart was parked outside Teaism, a really cool tea house so Steve and I set our cameras up and decided to take a few more shots.
We were playing around at the front of Teaism when we heard an almighty crash as someone inside dropped a stack of china. We hoped we hadn't been a distraction to the staff inside the closed cafe but nobody came out so we carried on merrily painting the building, trees and even Stuart. The time whizzed by and I was shocked when I checked my watch to discover it was 01:17am. We quickly packed up and drove back to Centreville, dreading the alarm clock calling in only a few hours time. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

No comments: