Monday, December 1, 2008

An English Cream Tea


On Saturday, I met with some of the Brit group at The British Pantry in Aldie for a chat and a cream tea. It was a miserable grey day and lovely to sit in a warm tea room with a pot of tea so large, you could barely lift it with one hand. The walls in the tea room are crammed with paintings of English countrysides and photos of the Queen. Shelves are jampacked with British souveniers and artifacts, most of which are for sale.



We sat and pored over the menu, finding it almost impossible to choose what could be eaten in one afternoon, and also what could be afforded, the prices were anything but cheap. I was having serious problems trying to decide between a bacon butty and a sausage sarnie before my scone with cream and jam. I finally settled on the bacon butty and very excitedly awaited its arrival. I was not disappointed and it took all my willpower to restrain my chomping instinct as I carefully pulled it apart to photograph it first. It had been a long time since I'd had proper back bacon with barely any fat to be seen. Although the cream tea was OK but nothing to blog about, the teapot was continuously topped up and we all had at least 4 cups.


Once our bellies were full, we waddled out to the shop and spent a while looking over familiar foods and reciting old recipes. I caught Rosie in mid grab at the sweet counter as she reached for some packets of polos. After our little break in the British world, we waved goodbye and headed back to our U.S. lifestyles.

1 comment:

Heideldy Deideldy said...

That looks like a very cool place!