Thursday, January 16, 2020

Peculiar Puppets on Parade

On Sunday Emily and Richard came to FroRo so I could show them one of my favorite attractions. A hike had originally been suggested and the weather was perfect for this, but I'd been experiencing bad stomach pains, which were later diagnosed as gastritis or possible stomach ulcer, and so the thought of trudging uphill and feeling winded didn't appeal. But since I'm a huge fan of all things Americana I hoped the quirkiness of where I was taking them would also appeal to my friends. And so I was very excited to introduce them to The American Celebration on Parade.
We arrived to find the parking lot completely empty, we were the only visitors. This was my third visit and each time I've found this extraordinary establishment with no other visitors, incredible to believe.
As I entered the huge warehouse I once again experienced the thrill of seeing these absolutely enormous float masterpieces that towered above us, garish, gaudy and sometimes downright creepy. I don't think it will matter how many times I see these, every time I walk in I'm astounded at their sheer size, vivid colors and amount of glitter. I had hoped to see the same reaction on my friend's faces but not so. I was more excited than the pair of them put together. But then I realized I'd never really seen them display pure unbridled excitement or joy, their emotions are always kept checked. Feeling sad for them I bounced past them into the vast hall, jigging a little to the wondrous parade music that was blasting out. I hummed along to jazzed up versions of Ghostbusters, Hey Ya and Thriller as well as the more traditional band sounds. God, I love this place!
Some of the exhibits had been moved about and a few were missing, notably the rabbits, but the Genie was still reigning supreme, 30ft tall and 47ft from fingertip to fingertip. She's a veteran of the Rose Parade, the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade and the Miss America Parade. The polar bears won the Queen's Trophy in the 1998 Rose Parade. Their white fur gets grubby quickly and is often replaced. Some of these displays were broken up to make new parade floats, although most are now in retirement, and some are in a storage warehouse in Maryland. The wheels on Neptune's chariot were once on a gladiator float.
This limousine has appeared in movies and weddings as well as the Rose Parade and is covered in black fake fur. The wonder of this place is that you can get close up and personal to the displays, to stroke the fur or gingerly feel a flower petal or simply to tap the glittered surfaces that sparkle and twinkle, impossible not to touch. Some of the floats have buttons that can pressed to make parts move. An elephant will slowly swing or a pelican will gyrate, the old motors below them grinding and creaking loudly.  The carpet is spotless,the wide red expanse making you feel as though you're part of a parade yourself and making a grand appearance.
There seemed to be more open space than on previous visits and upon asking about this I was told that they now hold events in the warehouse and so need space for tables or booths. Event dinners, wine tastings and fright nights are now on the schedule to help bring in funds. When the exhibition was owned by its founder, Earl Hargrove, there was an entrance fee. On my previous visits I'd paid for a ticket that covered this, the Shenandoah Caverns, the vintage window display museum and the Yellow Barn. Today, we were amazed to discover that now only the caverns charge a fee, everything is free entry. Mr Hargrove passed away in 2015, and now this is owned by his daughter, who has decided to give some of the exhibits another go at rolling down the streets. Regarding the 2019 Apple Blossom Festival she said, “This year, we took first place for our float in every category for the Apple Blossom Parade,” she says. It was the same parade that brought Hargrove to the Shenandoah Valley in the 1960s. “I just know my father was beaming from heaven. And now we are making one for the Fourth of July parade in Harrisonburg. I know my father would be so proud.”
We left the parade floats and walked up the hill towards the caverns to explore the Main Street of Yesteryear, a small dimly lit museum of old storefront windows from the 40's and 50's. For the middle of January, it felt weird to be outside in just t-shirts, a warm breeze stroking out bare arms.
These old bears were once circus features, some from the early 20th century. A pressed button started them slowly moving from side to side, with loud groaning noises from the machinery reminding me of complaining arthritic joints. Upstairs in the darkened museum the ceiling was hung with multitudes of dusty silk lilac flowers and leaves. A musty smell clung in the air, the floorboards creaked as I stepped across. Some of the window displays were lit, others came alive as we walked past, small lights beamed and the characters within sprang to life, walking around tracks or swinging on a trapeze, turning on a carnival ride or simply just turning their heads.
The workmanship and detail is outstanding on these displays which is why on this visit I focused on closeups of the stars. Some were grotesque while others were beautiful or simply amusing. But there was definitely a sinister air to the place. Some of these puppets would make Stephen King grimace, I loved them all. The motors whirred and clanked loudly as the window displays jerked and twirled their puppets, a deathly silence hanging in the air when the machines stopped.
For such a small museum, it has a huge impact. I so wish they make store windows like this today. This whole destination really is one of my favorite places to visit, and every time I return it's like a first visit, the wonder and incredulous astonishment gripping me each time. I was reluctant to leave, as always, but I know I'll be back, especially for the Fright Night. The Yellow Barn wasn't open and we weren't dressed to go down into chilly caves, so we headed for a local flea market that I never noticed before.
There were some unique yard ornaments, I really wanted the medallion sporting blue alien, but not enough to part with $75. Inside were numerous small rooms filled with various vendors. Only one thing caught my eye, a can of garden insecticide, claiming to be so safe that the mother had sprayed right next to her small child! I might have to go back for that...
Richard got me to pose with the leg of a mannequin, not a photo I was enamored with until I spotted Yoda's expression on the front of my t-shirt! It was halfway through the afternoon by the time we left and so with no further ado, we finished the day as any intrepid explorer worth his/her salt would, and made haste to a local brewery and then a winery.

No comments: