Thursday, December 14, 2017

Snow on the Post Apocalyptic Dark Side

We had been warned that a slight snow flurry would visit us on Saturday, but as usual the predictions were a little inaccurate and we got 3-4", snow falling for most of the day. I had to run errands and tried to get those done early so I wasn't caught in the bad weather, but before I could leave the house, most of the snow had already settled, every branch, berry, bend in the fencing, in fact anything that was still for more than 20 minutes soon blended in with its surroundings.
Kota had to take his daily walk in the morning before the roads were covered, but this was a false concern as the roads stayed snow free all day. But the countryside was beautiful, woodlands and fields cloaked in pure white, the boughs hanging over the narrow lands looking like Narnia. I wished I'd had time to drive about and take photos but I had to get groceries, clean the fireplace, chop kindling and mail gifts and cards to England.
Even though I was happy to see the snow, I was a little worried as I was meeting Richard in DC for a Gary Numan concert that I had no intention of missing. Luckily the roads remained clear, but even as we lined up outside the 9:30 Club at 5:15pm, huge fluffy flakes were still tumbling down from above.
Inside the club we failed to get the balcony stools, already reserved by the elite VIPs, but did manage to get great standing room on the lower balcony. The last time I'd seen Gary Numan perform was in Tonbridge, Kent, during the 80's, I don't remember the year. But I do remember riding the bus from Maidstone with Boo and Del, walking up dark stairs to a small hall with a bouncy wooden floor, and being surrounded by a couple of hundred fans with either black or white hair, black smudged eye makeup and black lips, the style of Gary in the 80's. As he came out on to the small stage, the crowd erupted, jumping up and down, so much, that I feared we'd crash through the floor as the boards sagged and bent under the weight.
I also 'met' Gary a couple of years later at the West Malling Air Show, an annual show near home that always had the Sally B, a Flying Fortress, as its star, accompanied by other WWII planes.  Gary had just acquired his pilot license and was flying that day. I caught up with him as he was being driven in an army jeep. I managed to get in close but he wasn't impressed with my efforts. I found a clip of the 1989 airshow, featuring for some reason The Thunderbirds soundtrack, but there is a fleeting moment of Gary piloting a Harvard he owned.
An article from 2009 on Gary flying.
By the time Gary came onstage at the 9:30 the place was packed, but I kept my heavy fleece on because despite the plentiful body heat it was cold up on our open balcony. Lights flashed and blipped across the audience as the instantly recognizable sound of his synthesizers keened and whined. The set was starting with tracks from his latest album, Savage, which entered the British album chart at No 2, his highest new entry for 38 years. This album has been the most electronic sounding since his first album, The Pleasure Principle, in 1979, and the sound was instantly recognizable. It was like meeting an old friend for the first time in years. His appearance wasn't really that different either. He didn't have the white hair but the styling was similar as was his signature heavy smokey eye makeup. The new album is about surviving in a post apocalyptic world, ruined by global warming, in which eastern and western cultures have merged. His, and the whole band's, outfits were sandy, beige colors, futuristic Bedouin styled garments, that kept making me think of pajamas. Desert scenes played on a screen behind the band with Gary walking dressed in what looked like a more industrial and layered outfit than what he was wearing on stage.
I kept clicked photos, trying to push the shutter in between the flashing lights which danced and beamed across us like distress beacons. They were so bright. For most of the concert though, I gave up photographing, wanting to just enjoy the show.
It was a fabulous concert. He really didn't seem that different from all those years ago in Tunbridge, although he was noticeably more relaxed. He was very stiff in the 80's but maybe that was just part of the act. Tonight he had been very fluid, his arm actions almost like ballet. His voice was as good as ever and he appeared to be really enjoying himself, a polished performer.
His concert set list is featured here. I love this web site. Gone are the days of forlornly wishing you had some idea of what that new track was so you could go and find the album it was on and then have to buy the whole LP. Now you can find the set list in seconds, listen to the track and then download to your phone. Love it!
After 2 encores, the concert was over, and we were back in the cold outdoors. We went to a pop-up Star Wars bar where I was incredibly excited to meet my first ever stormtrooper. But unfortunately, we didn't make it inside. The entrance fee was $40, which included 2 cocktails, but having had 2 beers at the concert, I didn't think it would be a good idea to drive home after that. So we plan to return very soon, I don't want to rush this experience, it will need to be savored, there is time. As Obi Wan Kenobi said," Remember,....the force will be with you. Always."

No comments: