Thursday, December 28, 2017

Reindeers Resting in a Remote Region

I was lucky enough to be given the secret location of Santa's retired reindeers and so after the hunt went in search of these critters. I had seen a couple of images on Facebook and was delighted when, upon request of the location, I had been given the street name. I knew it was local and down a little used road, but after driving up and down very slowly I had to admit defeat. I couldn't see them anywhere.
 The road was pretty and ended up turning into a dirt track. I scoured left and right to no avail and so drove to the local country store to grab a soup and sandwich while I contacted my source for a more precise location. I hadn't really expected him to reply quickly but within 10 minutes I had the exact house description and I drove back. The house was empty and up for sale. I walked around the back and towards some woods, nervous that a neighbor might emerge with a long beard, overalls and a shotgun. But it didn't happen and soon I was standing next to a tight line of stone reindeer.
 They had been standing at the back of the property behind old wooden outbuildings that were tumbling down for a long time, and looking equally worn. 7 of them faced me while another 2 pointed the other way. Their shadows thrown in front of them made a great photo and I stood there wondering what their story was and wishing I could find it out.
They brought to mind animals on a fairground carousel but being made of concrete this wasn't likely their origin. And how had they ended up here, and why in a straight line, as if they had been brought here to be sold and sent to another destination? They hadn't been arranged decoratively if they were garden ornaments. It looked like they had once been painted brown with white bibs and tails.Even their mouths had faint remnants of red paint and their eyes were still a dark blue glass. But time had now brushed them with a green mossy hue, the weather had eroded some of their features, only one antler remained on all of them and a few ears had perished.
They weren't wearing forlorn expressions, some even seemed a little impish. Though they had once all looked alike, time and Mother Nature had now created different expressions on their concrete countenances, reminding me of the hunt hounds from earlier. But these were a far cry from those bounding dogs, the reindeers stood stoically silent, like they were standing guard. I took a few more photos from different angles and then left them in peace, realizing as I walked away that my visit had been almost quiescent, a complete contrast from the morning's event. Just as well, I was happy to get back to my car without meeting any concerned neighbors!

No comments: