Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Paddle Part II


Back to Pohick Bay after checking I had a memory card in my camera, doublechecking as I locked the front door and triplechecking once I was in the car. A quick glance also to the roof to make sure the kayak was there! Once again, the forecast was stormy but I wasn't listening.
I couldn't believe my luck when I got to the park to find no-one else was there. No-one at all. No cars, no jet skis, not even a fisherman. I had the whole bay to myself.
Paddling slowly towards the weeds, I noticed the ospreys were circling and crying out. The blue herons and egrets were plentiful again, but this time, I got pictures!

The tide was in making a lot more of the bay accessible; I was spoilt for choice. An osprey flew over me clutching a fish almost as big as himself, an easy catch as the fish were jumping all around delighting in the lack of hooks and reels. I leisurely pushed my way upstream stopping to take photos and just to enjoy the silent solitude. Even the mosquitoes had decided to stay at home, only dragonflies and butterflies represented the insect world today.

Stopping for lunch was heaven. I rested the kayak on top of a submerged log and just leaned back with my feet over the edge happily munching as I surveyed my domain, and fed small fishes below with breadcrumbs.
After paddling up and then down the creek, I decided to head for the tree I'd visited before in the hope that I might see my green heron friend again. The tide was much higher than last time and the place had lost a little of its secretive charm from before but I still approached optimistically. I silently glided under the tree and waited patiently. 10 minutes later, nothing, not a peep from anyone. Just as I was about to give up and leave, a pretty golden bird, a prothonotary warbler hopped across the boughs. Like the green heron, he studied me as he flitted from branch to branch. Pleased to have met one resident, I started heading back towards the open water.

As I rounded a small island, I saw the ospreys' nest above and could hear a commotion from across the water. I headed towards it and saw ahead of me 3 ospreys on a hunter's hideout. It looked like the 2 parents and a fledgling. They seemed to be having quite an argument with the racket they were making and weren't taking much notice as I slowly paddled towards them. I managed to get some wonderful photos and couldn't believe my luck as I got closer and closer to them.

The shot below was the 'piece de resistance' for me. By now, I had got as close as I could without scaring them, and then one of the parents turned and looked me right in the eye. I clicked and then slowly backed off, giving them the respect they deserved. I think I was smiling all the way back to the shore.
Back at the beach, the park was still deserted. I'm sure my car had been the only one there all afternoon. Amazing, that being in the suburbs and so close to Washington D.C.,with such a dense population surrounding me, I had enjoyed the privilege of having such a beautiful location and experience all to myself.

No comments: