Thursday, November 21, 2019

Low Bids and a Perfect Parrot

I had to change my plans on Saturday for a friend who's a realtor. She was showing a remote property to a couple of gentlemen who'd told her they were millionaires, and was nervous about doing the showing alone. So, both of us, armed with mace sprays in our pockets, turned up and met a couple of guys, who were actually very polite men, and were very likely as wealthy as they implied. They were looking for a river front property that needed work and had privacy. This house certainly had both of those attributes. Circa 1822 this huge house was atop a bluff where it looked down on to the Shenandoah with no other houses that immediately overlooked it. With The Skyline Drive in the distance it had beautiful views but unfortunately it also had the traffic noise from a nearby busy road.
It was freezing cold, the temperature below 32F, with gusting winds causing me to gasp as they barrelled into me. We ran from the car to the house, which was surprisingly warm inside with no heating, and I had no intention of venturing outside again until it was time to leave.
It wasn't that thrilling inside. I was expecting a lot more character with its age, but it was solidly built.  structural damage to the brick walls was evident, some of the windows and floors slanted down, but there was no water damage. The two men, owners of a large window replacement company, walked from room to room, and then walked outside to view the water front and outside buildings. I stayed put, content to watch the leaves tumbling in the air and across the roofs. The men seemed keen on the property, but all I saw was a lot of work, and a problem getting in and out from the main road in bad weather. I did wander down to explore the silo and barn but it was a very quick scout around before I trotted back quickly to the warmth of the car.
After the men had left, promising to be in touch, we drove to Front Royal for breakfast and then afterwards I had to grab a donut from Strites, a local food truck that usually operates during hours when I'm at work or at other events, but today was parked outside Southern States. I munched my very fresh and gooey treat as I drove to Purceville, hoping to buy a Callicarpa shrub for the front garden. A beautiful sight during the late autumn months with clusters of bright pink berries which would also feed the birds, it was a must have, and they were on sale.
I don't know quite what happened here but while driving I was suddenly aware that I'd somehow got myself behind a hearse with another funeral car in front of it. Looking behind me, I saw a trail of cars with lights on which I guessed was the procession, everyone obviously on their way to the graveyard or cemetery. I'd been singing along to my iTunes at the top of my voice, the car evidently driving on autopilot for me to not notice that this had happened, and I had to spend a very uncomfortable 15 minutes driving slowly in the middle, (or really at the start), of this entourage before I could turn off. I even turned down my heavy rock music that had been playing loudly in the car. I was very relieved when they all passed me by.
At Abernethy and Spencer I made a beeline for the main greenhouse where I knew 2 parrots were residing. I always love to have a chat with them since the owner lets them have the freedom to interact with visitors. So I was amazed when I entered to see a long line of cages with at least 6 parrots roaming about. I immediately spotted a huge macaw and asked if he was the one I'd chatted with on my last visit. The owner said he had died but explained he got these birds from a local vet, who instead of putting them to sleep at the request of uninterested owners, gave them to this nursery. They now have a wonderful life in a huge warm greenhouse with the company of other parrots.
I was bust chatting to a macaw who was determined to tug on my hair when I was aware of a bird above my head. I looked up to see a sulphur crested cockatoo who pipped out a quick "Hi!" to me, and then proceeded to climb onto my arm, shuffle sideways up to my shoulder, and then snuggle in to my neck. Her name is Lola and I've never met such an affectionate bird as this sweet little girl. I could put my arms around her to cuddle her and she delighted in giving me kisses, with more "Hi!"s thrown in. She was adorable. My black jacket was covered in white dust from her feathers but we didn't care. We spent a good 30 minutes enjoying strokes and snuggles. She nuzzled under my chin, her head on one side, uttering little clicking noises and holding her wings up so I could stroke her underneath. I really didn't want to leave her but mentioned that I really should go and look for my shrub, and I would do it quickly. I did find one and wheeled it back up to the greenhouse, paid for it, then went back to the patiently waiting Lola, who greet me with another happy "Hi!" and resumed her position in my arms. I really had a hard time leaving her, but then the owner pointed out a another sulphur crested cockatoo in a cage, who'd been sitting quietly watching us. He was a new addition who had been obtained as a friend for Lola. This owner is a very special guy, I've never seen so many happy parrots in one location before. It's a Parrot Paradise.
I can't remember this chap's name. He's relatively new to the gang but has already become The Boss. His pose for the photo illustrates that quite clearly, attitude written all over his big beak. He tried many times to climb on to me also but I didn't want little Lola harassed so we stood back from the cages. These birds roam all over the greenhouse, walking across the floor or shelves, and one couple who came in to pay for their plants, were amazed to look up and see this guy hanging down from a beam to get their attention.
I really had to go as I wanted to be back in Front Royal for an auction. Carmen and I had discovered the auction room by chance and I had viewed the goods in the morning. I had heard my name called out by a lady while I was there, she remembered me from The Beer Museum. I had then met the auctioneer and his assistants, once again bowled over by how incredibly friendly this little town is.
I passed this huge silver bull in the yard of an insurance office in town. I have no idea why it's there but thought it warranted a photo. I managed to arrive at the auction room about 10 minutes before it started. This was my first auction in which I would bid for items. I've briefly passed a few but never been active in one myself. I was here on my own, but everyone was so helpful it wasn't long before I had my chair marked, my number clutched in my hand, and was seated among lots of smiling faces. The auctioneer and his crew recognized me and waved. And then we were off. But to be honest I just sat and blinked through the first couple of lots. I couldn't understand his racing patter, all the words jumbled together,  and it took me a couple of sales to grasp what was going on. He was so fast that I could barely follow what he was saying but I soon got the hang of it.
The next couple of hours went by in a blur and I ended up with some pretty cool items, which I shouldn't really have got, but they were so cheap! I got 2 Guardian Service casserole dishes, one oval and one round. They really appealed to me since they were so solidly built, with the base hammered like a coat of armor and a knight's head on the glass lid. Note the price above on Ebay, I paid $20 for both of mine. I also got a pair of brass eagle bookends, made by the Philadelphia Manufacturing Company, in immaculate condition with the labels intact, for $24, and a lovely Francis of Assisi concrete garden statue for $30. That was a real workout carrying that 38" tall solid figurine down 4 flights of stairs to the car. There was a service elevator but it didn't look like it would be moving for a while, and I didn't want to wait. Some of the lots went for ludicrously low prices. A gorgeous Chesterfield style sleeper sofa went for $25 and some antique chairs went for $10. I could have spent a fortune, I loved poking my paw in the air to raise a bid and then waving my card when I won. But thankfully, common sense and a little bit of maturity saved the day, and I went home feeling like I'd won the lottery, rather than lamenting a huge hole in my pocket.
Colonel Sanders was strutting his stuff outside KFC in town. I tried to snap a photo of him but failed so snaffled this one from one of the residents on Facebook, from a local post about how bad their chicken is. This seemed to be a unanimous opinion so it shall be one of the fast food places I'll continue to avoid. I can't even remember the last time I ate from KFC or Popeyes, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on an unforgettable food experience. Rosie Lee and Tricksie Treat were behaving very sweetly when I got home, once again sharing the sofa,so I had to sit elsewhere...
On Sunday we woke up to freezing fog. I had to make some international calls in the morning and unfortunately by the time I'd finished The Skyline Drive had been closed due to icy conditions. I'd been hearing how beautiful freezing fog is, but guess I'll have to wait for the next event, and get on the Drive before it's shut down. I bundled up and went outside to plant my Callicarpa shrub and then drove up to Chester Gap to see if there was any fog left up there. They'd had snow in the morning and needed sand on the high roads but it was melted by the time I got to the trail. I walked along for a while hoping as I gained altitude I'd see the fog or snow,but to no avail. It was freezing cold though so I gave up and returned to the car. I'm not yet acclimatized to these sudden icy temperatures!

No comments: