Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Poodling around Pohick Bay

 It was lovely to meet Emily and Margie down at Pohick Bay on Sunday morning for a kayaking trip. The sun was bright but thankfully a cool breeze kept the air moving and once we were on the water, it felt like heaven. We slowly followed the water's edge to the quiet zone where no motorized boats are allowed and we left the rest of the world behind us. Above, the sky was azure punctuated with fluffy white clouds that occasionally covered the sun and allowed us a few minutes of shade and lower temperatures.
We passed a few other paddlers but soon lost sight of them as they pulled ahead and we fell back, our paddles moving slower and slower.
There was an abundance of fluttering insects among the cardinal, pickerel and mallow plants, an industrious pollinating activity which was very hypnotic to watch. Butterflies crowded the blooms and dragonflies constantly swept by, sometimes landing on our boats, seemingly totally oblivious of our human presence.
The kudzu vines had totally taken over a few areas, monstrous blankets of dense green leaves draped over trees and bushes, creating an alien landscape.
Before long, Margie suggested we stop for slushies. Despite it not even being 11:00am Emily and I readily agreed and we slowed to a stop in some weeds. The slushies were perfect, cold crushed ice loaded with service berries or pineapple, or a mix of both, and a good shot of vodka. I had been thinking we would have only one each but Margie had brought us three each. They would all go eventually down the hatch without any complaint, but for now we made do with just one each. I recall how wonderfully relaxing this day was, and particularly how enjoyable, because for the first time ever, there was not a single mosquito. I couldn't believe it, every previous trip having been invaded by these horrendous pests. But today there was no biting or irritating buzzing midget bugs around our heads, only the butterflies, bees and dragonflies. It was pure bliss to lay back without constantly flapping my arms about or having to continuously reapply bug spray.
 I think we managed to paddle about another 50ft or so before we stopped again, Margie insisting that another slushie would be perfect right about now. Once again Emily and I concurred quite readily and before we knew it, another one followed immediately, because after all, in this heat, they would melt quickly and we wouldn't want that. So soon all were consumed.
We were stuck in weeds quite close to the bank, which anchored us nicely, and we savored the lovely cool breeze. Only a few people paddled by as we relaxed under the sun, watching the wildlife go about their business. Margie noted that we hadn't paddled since 11:00am. We'd started about 10:30, made it to the quiet waters away from the motor boats but had only traveled about 100 yards in total, yet since we were so comfortable where we were, it seemed like a good idea to have lunch, accompanied of course, with a few beers. We munched on Margie's egg and mint concoction, Emily's pasta with sides of chips and grapes. Emily had had a heavy evening the night before and commented, "I was hungover, and now I'm drunk,"  which made me giggle. Margie and I were very empathic. Everyone was feeling a little sleepy and to be honest, I don't really recall what happened next, but suddenly my boat tipped over and I was 'woman overboard', finding myself upside down and dunked into the water. It was actually quite refreshing but as well as me falling out, so had my camera, my phone, my reading glasses and all of our car keys, as well as my pasta.
Margie climbed out of her boat to help in the retrieval while Emily supervised. Everything was recovered but I was missing my glasses the next morning, oh well. I was rather upset about my pasta, but when I looked down into the water it seemed that some baby fishes were tucking in quite enthusiastically, so I couldn't be too miffed.
We spent a few hours just laying in our boats and chatting, with me drying off, and the day passed way too quickly but it had been wonderful to just relax and enjoy our natural peaceful surroundings. But the time came when we had to head to shore, and so we did, slowly.
We hauled our boats onto the beach and loaded them on our cars. my legs felt like heavy lead after having been so relaxed all day. The light was fading, tangerine hues stretching across the bay's horizon and reflected in the water. We sat on a bench and watched the last of the light disappear and then reluctantly decided we needed our beds. Despite having had such a lazy day I was exhausted. Back at home I amazed myself by managing to get Big Red off Stanley's and under my back porch, but not without hitting the roof of the carport with the boat,  a very loud dinner gong sound breaking the silence of our sleeping neighborhood, making me cringe. I had considered leaving it on the car and driving to work with it the next day, but realized that was foolish and I would still have to unload it the next evening anyway. I barely remember going to bed, I think I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

No comments: