Thursday, May 30, 2019

Busy Biking and Bustling in the Backyard

Memorial Day weekend was an industrious time for me, I barely sat still. After spin class on Saturday I went straight out into the garden to plant the new additions from DeBaggio's I'd bought on Friday. On the way home from work I'd also stopped at my old neighbors to pick up a pile of yellow irises that they'd thinned out from their flower beds. So those were planted at home too, as well as putting up trellises for my purple bean hyacinth seeds that had sprouted and were putting out tiny tendrils that poked around blindly in the air trying to find something they could climb. I cleared up and bagged the debris from trimming the hydrangeas out front, went to the dump, got some groceries, and then came back and dug out the pond.
 This won't contain any fish but will instead be a little watering hole for the wildlife. I dug down nearly 2ft, lined the bottom with sand and then double thickness pond liner. I lugged my free stones and rocks, that I'd collected a few weeks before, from the front garden and arranged them around the pond after I'd filled it with water. Covered in grime I drove back out to find pond plants, and came home with only a water lettuce and a water hyacinth. There are few pond plant centers near me, but I'll look further this coming weekend and then resort to buying on line if I have no luck. I have a small pump coming that will 'bubble' the water to prevent mosquitoes laying eggs. I had considered a fountain but thought the water would evaporate faster than just bubbling. I'll post more photos of the pond once it's finished.
 I was going to sell this little bistro set that had been sitting in my spare bedroom for months, but after dragging it outside to take photos, I thought it looked so pretty I've decided to keep it. I finally ran out of steam about 5pm and was in a horizontal position for the rest of the day...
I loaded my bike in the car and after spin class early on Monday morning I rode the Greenway, a 5 mile loop I'd been wanting to explore since I moved to Front Royal. The humidity wasn't too bad and immediately upon leaving the parking lot I was on a cool tree lined trail with Happy Creek bubbling alongside me.
This link is the map of the trail and I started at 'f'. Even riding alongside E.Criser and Rte 340 the traffic wasn't a problem, there was very little, and I could still smell the grass and trees as I cycled along.
Once I'd left the road I was back on a smooth wooded trail, the vehicle noise stooped abruptly and was replaced by an orchestral symphony of birdsong. Chirps, tweets, chirrups and chatters filled the air as the vocalists swooped back and forth in front of me. I passed this wonderful bike sculpture by the late John Urbanski, a marine and sculptor who lived in the town.
And then I was riding alongside the Shenandoah, her waters flowing more smoothly since the recent downpours. Many residents were using the trail also, some walking or exercising dogs, a couple reading books on benches or some just sitting in quiet contemplation. But I was aware that there was no rowdiness or shouting, people seemed to be respecting this quiet space, and those in conversation chattered softly. And everyone I passed smiled or said hello, it was lovely to be constantly smiling as I slowly cycled past my fellow residents.
I passed the boating ramp, fully expecting it to be flooded, but the water was low. People were having brunch at the picnic tables and the fragrance of blooming roses wafted across as I pedaled by.
I rode up a little track I'd spotted previously in the car and discovered the railway line. Note the little ladybug having a rest.
As I left the river and green riverbanks behind me it was all uphill towards town. I spotted a captive dinosaur, inside the fence of the Blue Ridge Technical Center, and then cycled around the Skyline Middle School grounds which back onto the cemetery. And then it was downhill into town.
Across to Main Street with the confederate statue, commemorating lives lost, and the flags lining the street for Memorial Day.
Past Stokes General store and the little house butting up to Happy Creek that burned down a couple of weeks ago. An elderly gentleman had lived there, who got out in time, and I'd heard it was a jealous ex-girlfriend who'd started the blaze! It had been a pretty little house but now was a sad scene, blackened boards and a charred guitar left on the porch. I could still smell the smoke drifting across on the breeze, reminding me of all the house fires I'd helped to extinguish in my firefighting days in England.
The trail then followed Happy Creek, leading me to an arboretum. I was delighted to find this and dismounted to explore further. A mocking bird hopped from branch to branch, warbling, 'Pwetty, pwetty, pwetty!' and then, 'Hurdy, gurdy, gurdy!' Or at least that's what it sounded like to me, and always make me chuckle. A redwing blackbird dashed down along the creek. The grass was still wet from the morning dew as I walked around all the flower beds, excited to see the native plants thriving, milkweed, wild bergamot, black-eyed susan and so many others. I was amazed to even see a Washington hawthorne and a green hawthorne. I've been considering planting a hawthorn in my front garden next year because they remind me of England, so many of the hedgerows there contain these.
There was a bird bath, and water fountains for humans and dogs, plus a notice board containing information on future events along with flower identification and tree care. Benches faced the creek, tempting me to sit a while. But I had a busy day ahead of me and needed to keep going, yet I was so pleased to have found such a well thought out garden space in the town. And I didn't see one piece of litter.
I rode over the creek and within a few minutes I was back at the gym. I'd loved this little loop and hope to ride it after work occasionally when I don't have gardening to attend too. Wishful thinking with my schedule, eh?
After a shower I was back out of the door and driving to Sunflower Cottage Herb Farm, just outside of the town. They grow herbs but I was hoping they might have a few natives also. I'm desperately trying to find the Cardinal flower to plant next to my pond to attract the humming birds. I've always loved seeing this vibrant bloom whenever I've kayaked Lake Frederick.
One of the plastic greenhouses was filled with a sweet citrusy aroma as I entered, from a table filled with Cuban oregano. I ended up buying some of these as I loved their appearance and knew the deers wouldn't even lay the tips of their tongues on the fuzzy leaves. I was walking over towards another greenhouse when 2 familiar figures exited, holding plants. We yelled and waved at each other. It was Sari and Paula from Sustainability Matters. I'm seeing these guys on a regular basis now and once again Sari insisted that I needed to join their group. I really would like to, but this year I have to focus on my garden. Paula tried to persuade me to pick out healthier cuban oregano plants that were in the greenhouse they'd just come from, but I liked mine better, so she pushed a French Tarragon plant in my hands, saying it was a great herb and I had to have one. I took it. I promised to attend their September event in Woodstock and have already signed up for a Toad House Painting workshop in June. I think I'm going to be seeing a lot of these guys, and their garden advice is priceless.
I stopped at the Back Room Brewery on site and spent a wonderful couple of hours sampling their equally wonderful brews in superb company. But the garden was calling and plants had to be planted and watered so I left earlier than I really wanted. Back at home I spent the rest of the afternoon pottering around, planting, weeding and watering, and checking for leaks on my pond. There were none. Of course! Below are a few photos of the back deck. The raised flower beds were full of ornamental grasses with hellacious roots. I've got rid of about two thirds and will deal with the rest in the fall. And there's still plenty in the front that I also need to pull. But there's now color appearing in the newly planted beds and pots, the perennials looking settled and beginning to spread, bulbs peeking up through the soil. And it brings me joy to see so many insects making themselves at home among them, I've had plenty of bees and butterflies dropping by, I'm watching now for dragonflies and lizards, and maybe a little frog or toad will find the pond.

1 comment:

Martha Peterson said...

This is a testimony that I will tell everyone in the world. i have been married for 4 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Zuma Zuk have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love Husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me after doing everything he asked me to do, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make everyone of you in similar case to meet with this man and have your marriage fixed His email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com whatsapp him on this +15068001647..... thank so much Zuma Zuk.