Thursday, January 3, 2019

Glowing Mornings and Sparkling Nights

It was a joyous delight to finish work and have 10 days off for the Christmas and New Year. My plan was to relax and enjoy each day while keeping computer activity to a minimum. I stuck to my guns of barely touching my laptop and only checking social media for brief periods. I haven't had cable installed in The Blue House and have no intention of doing so. I don't have any internet either, apart from using my phone as a hot spot, and filled my days with hikes, meeting up with friends, antique shopping and plenty of reading while snuggling on the sofa with Rosie Lee and Tricksie Treat.
The government shutdown meant there was no staff in Shenandoah Park yet the gates were left open with the public notified that there would be no amenities. I got up before dawn one morning and drove slowly through the silent gates in the darkness. I knew at this hour that it was likely if anyone, maybe just locals, would be present and as I drove up the mountain I saw no other person. I kept below the speed limit as there were so many deer walking in or crossing over the road. They showed little fear as I approached them, their ears twitching back and forth as they watched me pass by.
 The mists hanging in the valley were illuminated by the dawn as the sun announced its arrival with a preliminary sweeping of golds and pinks across the horizon before it showed its face. The valley looked so sleepy, hardly any movement could be detected apart from the wisps of smoke from chimneys. It was chilly, and despite having hand warmers in my pockets, the cold was creeping through my jacket, so I made my way to the trail head.
 The ground was hard underfoot, crunching like a crisp apple. Fallen tree trunks had a light veil of snow coating them, the brown curling leaves on the ground were covered in crystals and shards of ice. I laid down to get some photos of these, the early sun glinting on the ice and almost blinding me. It was silent all around, no bird song and no animals creeping through the woods. It felt almost eerie but at the same time wonderful to be experiencing this on my own, a feeling that I was on top of the world while everyone else was asleep.
 Back on the Skyline Drive I stopped at some more overlooks, the sun now a bright glowing orb, with not a shred or a wisp of a cloud to be seen in the blue sky, yet the mist still hung low in the valley. The air around me was warming up, my cheeks weren't stiff from the earlier chill any more.
 I then hiked down a waterfall trail, one I'd visited last winter. There had been many icicles hanging on my previous visit, the torrential water punching through to cascade down the rocks, but today only a few icicles hung from the rock face while the waterfall crashed unimpeded down the mountain. The sun was throwing a golden light on the bare trees as it shone over the mountains yet down where I stood it was still dark and cold. I stood for a few minutes just listening to the roar of the falls and staring at the whiteness as it foamed over boulders then I plodded back up the incline. I was hot after my climb back up to the car and drove the short journey home to hot tea and an omelette, still enjoying the new experience of living so close to the mountains and hiking trails.
I tried later just before the New Year to hike again at dawn, this time hoping to climb to a peak that offered an almost 360 degree view so I could watch the sunrise with a flask of tea but the gates at the park entrance were locked. I was initially disappointed but then pleased. During the government shutdown the parks have been abused by the public, who have dropped trash and left the amenities in filthy conditions, so I felt no anger at the park staff closing off the Skyline Drive to prevent further damage until the wardens could return to work and restore order. But I hope it will be sooner rather than later.
Since it was still dark as I turned around at the park gates I drove down into town to see the Christmas lights. Main Street was deserted apart from a lady walking her two small dogs. I didn't have the Sony or tripod with me so snapped some shots with my small Canon. It felt strange being the only person here, this town definitely likes its sleep and doesn't seem to wake up until first light appears. It felt as if it was 3 in the morning rather than approaching 7am.
 This stained glass window is in the old train station. I'd never realized it was there until today when the light inside the station illuminated the colored glass. Not all of the decorative street lights were turned on but the windows on Main Street looked pretty, a lot of effort had been put into their displays. I wanted to keep walking to stay warm so decided to visit the local churches. I'd noticed while driving through town that the Front Royal courthouse and some of the churches have some beautiful Nativity displays.
The last photo is actually outside the funeral home, an establishment I now have no fear of and actually smile inwardly at when I pass it by, thanks to the series, 6 Feet Under. I adored these carolers. It was impressive how many nativity scenes were laid out on grass lawns in front of the churches, all of them with beautiful figurines and a manger, and all of these scenes are within half a mile of my house. I haven't checked the churches on the other side of town, and now it will be something to look forward to next year as most of the decorations in town have now been dismantled and packed away. I was also made aware of a local Christmas tradition in the Front Royal news, a bright star shining above the skyline on the mountainside. I loved looking out for it as I drove through the town on my way to and from work, a bright beacon shining over the sleeping town. On my first work morning of the new year I drove through the quiet streets of town and looked up searching for the star. It was gone, until next December. I guess Christmas is really over.

No comments: