Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Humid Hike on the Appalachian Trail

I had managed to get home on Saturday just before the thunderstorms rolled in and it looked like Sunday could be the same. So I got up early to hike a trail I'd last hiked in winter. I'd remembered it as an uphill climb which I huffed and puffed up, but today it didn't seem so bad. Losing some weight has helped and my knees felt no aching today.
Someone had painted a pebble with a cheery message, leaving it at the base of a tree, giving everyone who passed a reason to smile. I could hear water pummeling its way over rocks as I neared the bottom of the  valley, crashing and thundering through the forest. The last time I'd been here the waterfall had been less of a force, with thick sheets of ice each side frozen on top with curls and loops of water frozen as it leaped out of the creek down the hill. I climbed up to the top and found a comfy perch on a huge rock. The surrounding trees were mostly tulip trees, their petals had been scattered all over the path on the way up here, like wedding confetti on a carpet.
I pulled out my journal and started sketching. The humidity was eased by the breeze coming from the waterfall, it also kept the mosquitoes away. I had the place completely to myself and relaxed completely as I began working. I was really enjoying the serenity and the calming therapy of drawing and painting. I was so engrossed that I didn't notice two hikers come up behind me. They stopped to chat and withing a couple of minutes beer became the topic of conversation. We swapped favorite brewery destinations and I took a photo of them against the falls. They obviously wanted to enjoy the scenery for themselves so I gave up my seat on the rock and left them to indulge in the beauty of this spot.
The trail was vastly different from my last visit, alive with almost tropical vegetation, bright green shiny new growth surrounding me. I was glad of the canopy overhead, shielding me from the sunshine as I climbed further upwards. All along the ridge were huge tulip trees with the petals creating colorful splashes on the trail before me, reminding me of the breadcrumb trail in the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel. The rocky path was slippery from so much water, at one point the trail becoming a creek that I had to splash through. I didn't even stop for a breather as I had last time, and despite the humidity trying to sap my energy I continued upwards relishing the energy my lighter body was feeling.
And then there was mud. Lots of it, so deep that I had to simply squelch through. I found myself humming, "Slip sliding away" by Simon and Garfunkel for a while until I decided I should stop, just in case I jinxed myself and took a tumble.
I climbed up a rockier slope and decided to stop again on an outcrop, once more pulling my journal and paints out to capture some of the bramble flowers arching on each side of the trail.
Coming back down I passed some more hikers heading inwards, and hoped they wouldn't go too far before the storms came in again. Back at the car an AT through hiker was resting with a friend who had driven to meet him with replenishments for his backpack. He was thoroughly enjoying a huge slice of watermelon and between mouthfuls told me he'd started 3 months ago in Georgia and reckoned he was halfway through. Just before I left he hoisted his full pack onto his back and set off up the mountain. I wished him well, hoping he'd be able to dry out that evening with the impending bad weather. This year must be an ordeal for the through hikers with the continuous storms we've been having. I drove home, the heavens opening before I climbed the hill to Meadow House and I thought of that poor hiker.
As the thunder crashed across the fields and the rain beat against the patio doors I sat with my paints, nearly finishing a double page spread in my journal. I'm not going to kid myself that these artworks are good but I am pleased that I'm off to a good start. With practice I should hopefully improve and it will be interesting to look back on past entries as I complete my journal, with my sketches hopefully looking better as the year progresses. I'm already wondering how much better my autumnal leaves will look compared to my spring flowers.

No comments: