Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Thansgiving Weekend 2017

After the 'Kota Krisis;, I wasn't able, (mentally or financially), to throw an extravaganza of a Thanksgiving meal as I had done last year, and so was thankful that I only had a couple of guests, Steve and Jason, this year and both were supplying the desserts.
 I prepared an easy appetizer of dill pickles stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar which were then wrapped with bacon and baked. These disappeared quickly! I then made a turkey and bacon pie, cooked in homemade pastry with a tarragon and leek sauce. This took only a little time to prepare, and then with my stuffing, a tray of roasted beets, parsnips, brussels, onions, carrots and mushrooms, with mashed potatoes and gravy, we were good to go. And go we did, especially the boys! Little conversation ensued while the plates were thoroughly vacuumed and then completely refilled, after which the consumption continued at a slower pace, allowing some words to be spoken in between huge mouthfuls of food being shoveled in.
I had no opportunity to take photos as the meal was demolished so fast. I watched Steve and Jason in amazement. I was stuffed after one plateful and looked on incredulously as on round two three quarters of the pie disappeared and much of the side dishes. Their energetic consumption was compliment enough for me, although they looked pretty uncomfortable after the last mouthfuls went down. After much wriggling on seats and being unable to find a position of ease, it was decided a short hike was required before any attempts at dessert could be considered.
 It's been a while since I've walked around the perimeter of Maggi's land, so I led the way through the woods, then the fields and down to the little creek. The air was still and quiet, and we happily trudged through the thick carpet of crunchy leaves, glad to be moving and working some of the food off.
It was a bit slippery climbing up to the top of the rocks, the leaves skidded underfoot, but we finally stood at the top and surveyed the quiet woodlands. We eventually managed to get back to Meadow House before dusk, and even though we really hadn't got enough room for dessert, we gallantly plowed through Jason's walnut pie and Steve's cranberry and orange pudding with ice cream. After a couple of hours the boys departed, all of us wanting our own sofas to adopt a horizontal position where some napping would inevitably follow. It did, and it was bliss.
Over Friday and Saturday, between a couple of grocery trips, I cleared my patio. This was another task that had been put off due to the Kota Krisis, and I was glad to catch up. Pots were emptied and stacked, the purple vine that had perished through the freezing nights was cut down from my screens. Furniture was carried to the shed and the patio finally swept of leaves.
 Kota had been helping me through the task, sitting and monitoring my progress and checking all the pots. Rosie Lee preferred to stay cozy in front of the fire and had zero interest in taking a short hike when I offered. But Kota was keen and off we went.
 I love how dramatic this image appears, the poor hydrangeas culled by the frost until next spring. Almost as those they were frozen in time.
 Kota Kat did very well on his hike, with him even trotting at times. We had plenty of rests when we'd sit and sniff the crisp air. He was insistent that he lead the way at all times so I dutifully followed him through the woods and fields. We stood and watched as bluebirds and robins flitted from tree to tree, chirruping to their partners. As we got close to home, he decided a hill was too much to take on and asked to be carried. He purred all the way back to the house and was happy to sit on his rocking chair in front of the fire, sharing treats with Rosie Lee.
I then met up with a couple of English friends on Saturday evening. We started off at a winery and then finished with a meal at The Hunter's Head, a favorite restaurant of our group. I have no photos of that because it was just so nice to spend a few hours with friends without electronics being part of the scene. not once did any of us take out our phone, we simply enjoyed our conversation and company.
After all the food of the holiday weekend I was ready for some exercise, and on Sunday decided to climb part of the Appalachian Trail from Front Royal.
 I stopped occasionally to take a few photos of the bleak fields, resting after their summer crops.
 The country lanes were desolate but I did interrupt some black vultures, who were about to commence their feast of expired opossum. I had to drive by very slowly, their reluctance to abandon their dinner was very obvious and I wondered if they'd just been discussing as to who would have first dibs at dinner.
I parked at the start of the trail, only two other cars were there, so I wouldn't be meeting many folk. But almost immediately I met one guy with his two dogs on their way down. and soon after I came across another with his, also tired, hound. Later on my way back down I would come across a dog bandanna, with a 'let it snow' theme. I hope the rightful owner saw it tied to the tree at the parking lot. I'm sure the woofer didn't miss it...
This part of the trail runs alongside part of the National Zoo's Conservation and Research Center, a place I haven't managed to visit yet, but which is on my list of things to do. Only opening their doors once a year to the public makes this a tougher achievement. I scoured the fields behind the high, well maintained fencing, looking for I don't know what, but I had it in my head that I might see a 'push-me-pull-you', or at least a giraffe. Nothing. I didn't even see a bird land on a nearby tree. I wondered if these fields were ever used.
It felt good to be out exercising in the fresh air, it seemed like ages since I'd last hiked. There was a crisp breeze and the trail led up and up, but I didn't mind, It was great to be outside and enjoying nature. Although the only nature around me was sleeping. A few leaves were clinging grimly to branches while the ground was deep in rusty crunchy foliage that had fallen recently. I scuffed my way through, skidding occasionally on the dry slipperiness or tripping over rocks hidden beneath. There were few clumps of green grass or moss, but mostly neutral greys and browns dominated the landscape. There were few creatures about too, a lonely bird call whistled far above occasionally and even the squirrels seemed to be dozing today. I had the trail to myself.
I had walked about 2.5 miles, most of it uphill, when I heard a loud hollow crack in front of me and stopped immediately. Because I hadn't been out for a while I'd forgotten to prepare properly, grabbing only my camera and a jacket. I didn't have my hiking backpack on, not even thinking about it, until that noise made my hand automatically reach back for my pepper spray and grab thin air. I'd forgotten my bag. My heart lurched a little because that cracking noise had been quite loud and my first thought had been 'Bear!' I stood still and listened, feeling a little vulnerable, but there were no more sounds. it must have been a branch falling. I walked on a little further then sat on a boulder, an odor of skunk wafting around, making me grin as I thought, I wasn't the only one who'd been alarmed. I then also realized that I didn't have any water, but on this short hike, it wasn't needed. And that was the end of the hike too. I couldn't shake off the feeling of being unprotected, and with the sun starting to drop towards the horizon, it was probably best that I head back down.
My mind started playing tricks as the shadows grew longer and danced around me, the air cooling as the wind blew the branches. Black bears like feeding around dusk time and soon I was seeing bears crouching under bushes or any dark areas that were gloomy with the failing light.
But soon I was back down to the parking lot, wishing I could have gone further. I tied up the bandana I'd found, so it could be seen from the road, and made a note that as soon as I got home, I'd add a flashlight to my hiking backpack. I can feel that another trek in the mountains is imminent.

No comments: