Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Weird and Wonderful at Old Lucketts Store

On Saturday Janice and I went to Old Lucketts in Leesburg, a store and a design house, both filled with vintage hip household wares as well as clothing and accessories. I haven't been here for over 5 years as it's always so busy, but today we lucked out. There were people there but it wasn't packed and we didn't feel that we got in peoples' way with our cameras. We even had a room to ourselves a few times.
 Areas of the house were decorated for Christmas but it wasn't excessive, and there were a lot of decorations that I might have been tempted to buy, but since I'm going home to good old Blighty for Christmas this year, there's no point in me putting up any decorations. And I'm actually enjoying the respite, both from the work of putting it all up, and not being tempted to spend a small fortune on new decorations, which I always end of doing.
There were some cute little pieces that caught my eye. In fact, it was hard focusing on just one area as there was inevitably something else that would blink or glitter and I'd be drawn towards it. Every single corner is crammed with goodies, new and old, and some handmade. The earrings above really reminded me of my grandmother, she would wear ones similar to these.
There's another cottage next to the main store which was also filled with goodies. I bought a beautiful scarf from here and nearly got a shawl too, until I noticed that the lady behind the counter was also wearing one and hers was shedding badly, leaving tawny colored threads all over her maroon sweater. I hung mine back on the rail.
Outside there were plenty of objects to look at and study too. I particularly loved the huge pairs of doors that were scattered all over the grounds but was saddened to think that they would likely just rot away after sitting out in all weather conditions. There was a lot of old furniture outside which I'm sure would never be purchased. I did want this big old lion though. What a beautiful noble face. Want, want, want!
We then ventured inside the design house, a building that has each room decorated by a different designer with all the decorating accessories for sale.The rooms are beautiful but I could not be tempted with any of the gorgeous decorations, although I did pick up a lot and then put them back down again.
I spotted this shell on a table and thought it looked like something from a gallery so we both started shooting it from various angles and making a lot of fuss over our endeavors. I have to admit we got a few strange looks from the folks that came in the room.
There's also another house across the road selling stuff and had a lot of zany things outside but very little of interest inside except a comfortable chair placed in front of a fire.
There were a lot of heads lined up on racks out the back which creeped me out a bit but looked cool through the lens. Most of the artifacts looked as they they had been weathered too much to sell but they were very photogenic. I found these two words and lined them up for a photo.
I ended up taking a load of photos and both of us said we would like to come back in the spring for the Easter decorations. This is a unique and interesting venue with a lot of unusual items for sale.We left due to grumbling tummies and forsaking our usual beer, headed to Panera Bread for hot soup and a sandwich.

No comments: