Friday, August 27, 2010

An Idyllic Weekend

These are the first images with the ressurected G10. Rob, the superstar, took the camera to a shop locally who repaired for a lot less than any stores up my way, and I'm elated to have it back again. It's like a new camera. Fank Oooooo Rob!
Saturday at Rob's was a lovely sunny day and we were going to mow the grass for the first time since the end of June. 
We had to move the vehicles around a bit first and I spotted his old Chevvy engine which was on the back of the trailer.
He plans to overhaul this during the winter months and add on the Corvette cylinder cover thingies and the big lumpy metal bits. I've forgotten the names...
We went for a tractor ride down the lane just to make sure I could still remember how to drive it, but I can't get used to the fact that you can't change down gears like on a regular vehicle. There's a name for that kind of engine too, which I've also forgotten. After parking the vehicles under the trees, we headed to the garage where the mowers live.
Some nice chains caught my eye so another photo was in order. Rob backed out my mower but not his. So I was cutting the grass while he weedwacked. I thought long and hard over this while I mowed as I wanted to be absolutely sure that I had the better deal here.
Rob seemed to be working in mainly one area while i was zipping all over the place, but at least I was sitting down so that was one plus.
There, all done! I have to admit that I had the easier part of the task when I went over to Rob and realized he was drenched in sweat. I was barely glowing, so bless him, I did get the better deal after all. His big mower needed an oil change so he swiftly got that job out of the way while I perched on the seat and watched.
We also decided to go ahead and put some plants in the ground. The earth was rock solid and I was puffing and panting trying to get the shovel further than 4" down, so Rob dug the holes making it look as easy as digging in a kids sandpit. But at least he managed to keep his hands clean by letting me do the planting. After a good soaking to settle them in, he insisted we get on our mowers.
I was bent double laughing as I followed him up the driveway where we stopped to check the mail, turned around and then went back down to the house. I do like my Cub Scout though and think I have the hang of it now.
Later Rob cooked dinner on the barbeque and we trotted over to Kmart hoping to find some more 'My Name is Earl' DVDs as he only had Seasons 1 & 2. We started watching those in the evening and that set the tone for the rest of the weekend. 
Sunday we woke early and started up the DVDs again, watching them in bed this time. Breakfast was handfuls of peanut M&Ms and we did manage to get up briefly to shower and cook eggs and bacon for brunch but after such a heavy meal, a nap seemed to be in order and it was only natural that as we awoke, the TV was turned on again and Earl was resumed. I had to leave in the afternoon to pet sit a friend's cats and I was most reluctant to depart having developed a keen fondness for MNIE. 
I couldn't believe it that I was yawning as I drove back to northern VA. What a lazy day!

No comments: