Monday, July 21, 2008

White Oak Canyon

Sunday morning started early with an apprehensive drive to the White Oak Canyon trail near Sperryville, VA, where I was meeting a group of seasoned hikers to combat a 'strenuous' mountain, famous for its numerous waterfalls and vistas. I was a little worried as I've been having back issues and its been awhile since I'd tackled a hike like this. I'd conquered Old Rag some years earlier but during a time when I was fitter, not to mention, younger!
We set off uphill at a 'lickety split' pace and before a mile was traversed, I was looking into faces coming back down the trail of those who'd decided today wasn't the day for them and had turned back towards the parking lot. I attempted a few conversations with fellow comrades but gave up quickly as I realized talking whilst breathing was not an option.
Food supplies were shared and drinking water carefully rationed throughout the hike amongst us four who had fallen back from the route marching group we'd originally followed. Comradery built as we urged eachother on to Jennifer's mantra of "One step at a time".


We actually saw this sign at the top of the mountain. I'm so glad it wasn't at the bottom because I sincerely believe it would've affected my decision to continue the climb. Also, notice all following photos were taken from the top of the mountain and down the White Oak Canyon trail. Taking photos on the way up Cedar Run was not considered for one moment.


On the downhill trail, the falls were spectacular, and we were grateful to be able to cool our foreheads and soothe our throbbing feet in the chilly sparkling pools. My camera came into use at last as I frantically snapped everything in sight to ensure footage of this arduous adventure.

After seven hours of hiking in temperatures of over 90 degrees, we finally made it to the parking lot, but not before we'd had a celebratory splash and scramble in a pool near the bottom.

We finished the day with a round of High Fives, beers and a smug sense of satisfaction!

1 comment:

Stiggie said...

Gorgeous, my goodness wish I had been there, I have to say that after reading the verbage and admiring the photos, I truely do see the light.
-T